When using Claims Based Authentication user sessions expire of 60 minutes by default. The user is prompted 20 minutes before that time to reauthenticate. Doing so results in the lose of any work that has not been saved. To avoid this issue you need to extend the “TokenLifetime” of the security token.
1. Login to the server that you have install AD FS 2.0 on.
2. Open the AD FS 2.0 Management Console
3. Expand “Trust Relationships” and “Relying Party Trusts”
4. Note all the Display Names
5. Start PowerShell
6. Run the command to add the Adfs Snapin: Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.Adfs.PowerShell
7. For each Relying Party Trust do the following
1. View the current timeout setting: Get-ADFSRelyingPartyTrust -Name:”relying party trust Display Name”
example: Get-ADFSRelyingPartyTrust -Name:”relying party trust Display Name”
2. Change the timeout: Set-ADFSRelyingPartyTrust -TargetName “relying party trust Display Name” -TokenLifetime Time in seconds